Monday

Barbary Sheep

I know he looks more like a mountain goat than a sheep but he really is. His other name is aoudad.

Aoudad or Barbary Sheep

The Barbary Sheep is native to North Africa and is still located in very isolated mountainous areas there, but it was introduced to the United States in the early 1900s, at first only raised in zoos and private sanctuaries. In 1950, the first animals were released into the wild, and they settled in to New Mexico. More were released in Texas around 1957, where they continue to thrive. Currently, there are large populations of Barbary Sheep found in Spain, California, Texas, and New Mexico, but they are harder to find in their native Sahara Desert. Barbary Sheep are indigenous to dry mountain ranges, usually deep in the desert. They are extremely agile, jumping from stone to stone and climbing steep inclines.

3 comments:

Anya said...

Waaaaaaaw......
Its a fantastic shot :)
My compliments,
I love animals ^__^

carmat said...

I agree it sure looks like a goat to me, that stare is pretty intimidating, I don't think I would want to have a run in with that fellow.

photowannabe said...

I love the composition of this shot and the head-on look. Its imtimidating and simply beautiful.