Thursday

Injured White Fallow Deer

Today at the Safari I saw this white fallow deer with a wound in her back. She appeared to be in distress mostly from trying to keep the flies from landing on her wound. The Wildlife Safari takes very good care of their animals so I assumed this was a fresh wound that they didn't know about. I sat by the animal for awhile, watching for a park employee to drive by so I could stop them.

After about 10 minutes the deer got up and started to walk away. I was concerned that she would disappear before an employee showed up so I used my cell phone to call the park to tell them where I was and what the situation was. They sent a park ranger out right away.

The ranger told me it was an old wound and they were watching it. About 6 months ago the deer escaped from her area and unfortunately the area she escaped to was the cheetah area. A cheetah grabbed her causing the wound before she got away. The ranger said it reopens occasionally but it heals up again.

I felt better knowing they are aware of it but I wish there was something to put on it to keep the flies off. Poor baby.



White Fallow Deer make their home in Central Europe where they were introduced by the ancient Romans.

The Wildlife Safari has a large herd of the animals (possibly 25-30). The females usually stay together in one group...

and the males stay together in another group.

5 comments:

Kate said...

The wound does look pretty ugly, doesn't it. You are fast with your camera, or should I say, patient to get so many animal shots. Animals don't always cooperate!

Faye Pekas said...

Kate, neither speed nor patience. Its pure pleasure. I love to sit and watch the animals. Just driving through the park, you would miss a lot of the wonderful things they do. I especially like to watch their interactions with one another.

photowannabe said...

I have never seen white deer before. Glad this deer is being cared for.

AphotoAday said...

Hi Faye,
Poor thing... Wonder how it got injured... I live near Point Reyes National Seashore and we're going through a big controversy about the overpopulation of fallow deer (not white)... The government wants to exterminate them, but most everybody else thinks the population can be "managed" without extermination...

kaye said...

Poor thing! It was nice of you to hang out and make sure that the park rangers knew about the injury. I love how all the females are just grazing, and all the males seem to be on alert. Great shots!